Friday 6 February 2009

Serendipity


At work we have the same music going round and round on a loop to such an extent that it can drive you crazy, numb you senseless, provide an excuse not to concentrate or simply be a minor distraction. Shortly after my last post I was walking through the Kitchens before opening and was just under a speaker when Squeeze's "Up the Junction" burst out of it and onto my awareness. I haven't heard this song in ages and with it's masterful opening line "I never thought that it would happen with me and the girl from Clapham" I was suddenly yanked back to the time during the mid 1990s when I lived in Tooting and was regularly up the junction with friends, just passing through, going to work, taking shirty phonecalls from Bob Geldof and getting run over by Julia Ormond (I kid you not on the last two but they're fleeting minor stories and not great ones). I must admit I stood there and listened to the whole song before getting on with my day. It seemed and seems to be some kind of serendipity that I should hear that song so quickly after putting up the picture and title of my last blog post because both songs belong to that era. More than that though I love that songs can pull memories out of your head so that they are so strong you remember things you didn't know you had noticed. Wonderful.
I have just finished reading The Reader by Bernhard Schlink and found it to be a very impressive book. It is sparely written and while it deals with it's subject in a factual tone it never strangles the emotions associated with the subject matters out of existence. Next I will start Revolutionary Road and hopefully finish it before it is the subject of Movie Night.
Today is a day off and the boss & I will shortly be off to Tahko to go skiing for the weekend. Correction I am going skiing and the boss will have to be dragged hissing and clawing out of the warmth of the indoors very much like a cat doing everything possible to avoid being put into a box and taken to the vet. I think I might get a scratch or two. Should be fun.

No comments: