Tuesday 3 March 2009

A full stop

Pork rolls with Mozzarella, Spinach & Garlic served with Beans

This was an idea for a Monday night super that occurred to me on the bus on the way home from work. I had jotted down in my diary “beans” so had popped a mixture on to soak the night before. The problem now was I had no idea what to do with the beans. I had planned to read my book but wasn’t in the mood to take in Obama’s pontificating so was idly staring out the window when I hatched the plan.

It is a recipe that seems to fit into what the Kitchen does best. We take midweek food, the stuff you eat everyday after work and try and give it a little bit extra. What we also do is plan what we eat and when so that we save money and don’t waste food. I have always made a conscious decision to leave my opinions on politics and religion out of this blog but on the subject of people in the west wasting huge quantities of food I have to say it is a sin.

Serves 2
2 pork fillets thinly rolled out like a pancake
100g of blanched spinach – you will need to adjust this depending on how big (or how flat) your pork fillets are.
50g of mozzarella chopped up
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
Salt & Pepper
Olive oil
Butter
Vermouth

250g of mixed beans

Put on the beans to cook for about 1 ½ - remember do not salt them until cooked
Meanwhile on the flattened pork place half of the spinach, mozzarella and garlic
Roll up the meat so it looks like a slightly fat tube
Pin the meat together with cocktail sticks

In a pan warm some olive oil, them melt a knob of butter into it and add a dash of vermouth
Place the 2 pork rolls into the pan and put a lid on
Cook for about 20 minutes on a medium heat
Keep an eye on the liquid in the pan you don’t want it to evaporate

When the beans are done season them with salt & pepper. If you want to add some extra spinach to them it will be very tasty.

Finally when the meat is done serve up and enjoy.

We had some left over spinach today because the only bag in the supermarket yesterday was too big to use in one go so I popped the rest of it in with some mushrooms and served it as a side to some Salmon & Rice.

No comments: